Skip to main content

How did we survive the year 2020? Are we ready to face 2021? A reflection on the pandemic year, and how we have overcome it.

The Year 2020 has been challenging as we all know, but here we are in 2021! Happy New Year Every one. 

The year started well, resolutions were made, plans put into motion, but Covid19 hit and everything crumbled. Weddings got cancelled, travel plans and physical meetings were cancelled, school and places of worship closed, we were moving into the unknown. Reminds me of Mexican saying I heard from a friend, that if you want to make God laugh at you, tell him your plans. 

The different faces of the pandemic

The pandemic was not just a health issue, it had social, economic challenges that have been un precedented. It exposed inequalities, the flawed humanity where husbands and wives could not live together for long hours due to lock down and resorted to violence (wonder why we stay together in the first place if we cant tolerate each other). People with low incomes, living hand to mouth suffered hunger and psychological trauma. I read about a man who set himself on fire because he couldn't feed his family, another who killed his family of four because he could not take care of them, communities hit by climate hazards and displaced amidst the already constrained situation.

I remember when the first deaths in Italy were being announced on television, I used to sit on TV during lunch time to catch up with the news, I would break down and cry for the unknown people. My daughter onetime asked why I was crying and yet I didn't know them, I told her that to someone else, they were grandfathers, grand mothers, mothers, fathers, sisters, children, friends. She understood, but commented that I will be crying for along time because the news will go on and on. Which indeed turned out to be true -- it spread world over, the numbers went up daily.

We also experienced personal loss and grief. Friends and colleagues got sick, and mind you before the pandemic, there were other diseases and other causes of death that also continued. I lost a cousin to cancer because his medicines could not reach him due to cancellation of flights. I lost a dear uncle whose cancer was diagnosed late at stage four. We lost a grandmother who had been part of my children's lives. We never got the opportunity to have a proper closure for our loved ones other than long distance communication with family.

The above is in addition to the challenges of new ways of working, online learning, endless meetings and webinars,. and cancelling our 2020 Christmas holiday which as a family we were all looking forward to, but the recent guidelines and lock down in the UK meant the hospitality industry had to close, so our trip went up in smoke!

So how did we cope? or more specifically how did I cope?

To cope with the above and continue functioning was no mean fit, there were support systems that enabled us go through such horrors. I know everyone had different coping strategies but some how if you are reading this, you pulled through, so they worked. For my part the following were key;

1. Family and friends

The value of family and friendship has never been important like in 2020. Being able to to share, laugh, hear a kind word, reflect on memories, share similar experiences was very helpful. For my part, being away from the larger extended family was hard, but friends and colleagues from work filled in gaps. Telling you to take it slow, take a day off to deal with personal issues really helped. Play dates for children also helped when they couldn't go to school and were craving company. It was a concerted effort through a circle of family and friends.

2. Work Environment 

The work place also had a lot to do with individual coping. At IIED, reflection on Covid19 impacts on staff was key both at leadership, group, team and individual level. Support  to ensure we all had basic working equipment at home, one to one informal chats, team discussions on personal experiences and coping mechanisms, mental health sessions, encouraging us to take off days of leave etc all contributed to our resilience to face another day. As an institution we also worked with our partners to understand how they were coping and innovating to deal with the pandemic challenges. However, this process made me realise how privileged we are to have stable internet, or even affording it. Some of our partners were struggling with band width, connection, access, affordability etc. While the world prided itself on being able to move on virtually and reduce emissions from travel, many organisations and individuals in the global south cannot say the same due to the digital divide. overall, we managed, but we need to continue advocating and supporting those not privileged to work virtually.

3. Spiritual Support

Human needs for spirituality and connection have always existed, but they were more important in 2020.

In an article on spiritual wellness during Covid19 pandemic, the spiritual leaders agree that focusing on the positive helps to navigate the pandemic’s challenges. “When you turn off the news, take time to disconnect from the world, and focus on your life, you’ll see that there is actually a lot of good,” This isn’t intended to minimize or ignore all the pain and harm but to serve as a reminder that there is still more than only pain and harm. “Maybe you’ve had more time at home to see your kids, or can even just appreciate the simple fact that you are breathing and alive,” 

Personally I was able to reconnect with my church back home on zoom since churches here were closed and it is a space where sharing about Covid19 was open, with prayers for the sick, comfort for those that lost loved ones, charitable acts for those suffering. That gave me meaning, being part of that community and participating in doing good for others who needed it.

The worst is not over, but we have leaned our lessons. I hope we shall be wiser, more resilient, kinder to others and to ourselves.

Happy New Year 2021 - I hope it will end better than 2020 - All is well that ends well!

Comment and share your coping strategies that could make 2021 better


Comments

  1. Thanks Tracy for your reflections.

    My basic coping mechanism was looking for the good in each day.
    I had a gratitude memoir each day. Some days, it was a thanksgiving prayer, other days it was a note in my journal or a whatsapp status post and other days, it was a note in the Jar.

    2020 reminded me that i needed to slow down and appreciate the simplicities of life. I got time to be at home and get to do some repairs and changes i had neglected.
    My backyard garden and flower beds flourished as weeding & reorganising them was a stress relieving activity . It was also fulfilling eating herbs and vegetables grown by myself. I also realised how much i could save on my weekly vegetables shopping by growing my own.

    By sitting down as a family and reviewing our family rules, we updated them and came up with schedules to help us live comfortably in each others space. This helped us minimise conflicts.
    My children did a number of the tiktok challenges and i too partciipated in some of these. This created bonding moments for us all.

    My younger children continued studying online during the lockdown so i had to be the principal , teacher and supervisor. I learnt that i did not have the patience needed and had to get support in this area.
    I greatly appreciated the role the teachers play in the lives of our children.

    The support of Friends emotionally and mentally was a great coping mechanism.
    We arranged monthly zoom calls to catch up. We did a 10 week parenting course as friends through a weekly zoom call.

    My local church was a great stabilising force. Daily online prayer meetings were held since churches were closed. The church reached out to involve us in some of these activities . This made me feel a sense of belonging and that i was supporting others in my community.

    On the workfront, linkedin has a free course on working remotely that i did. This helped me greatly settle and transition to the working from home . I have been able to track my productivity and appreciate the great strides the organisation has taken in changing to meet the demands that the pandemic brought.

    2021 has come, we continue to learn from each other, get better daily and be ready to change again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Pamela, your copimg strategies are so insightful and i will pick some for myself and family in 2021! Happy New Year

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let us talk about Visa Colonialism

  Let us talk about visa colonialism   In 2018, President Donald Trump unleashed a word that seemed to ‘’shock’’ the world when he wondered why America was allowing   people from shithole countries to enter their country. Many acted surprised, but an assessment of the visa bureaucracies across the world indeed portray that even if the same word is not used, the implications and effects endorse Trump’s use of the word. And, as   Ibram X. Kendi notes, it really torches into the racial hierarchies of free movement across the globe especially for none white people (or those with passports from ‘’shithole countries’’). Travel visa requirements are generally recognised as the result of a trade-off between preventing irregular migration, ensuring security, and allowing potential economic benefits to countries. However, the racial biases and the colonial legacies that go with the system remain silent and not tackled. It takes some one from a ‘shithole’ country, who has experienced dis

Woes of a working at home mother in the COVID19 era

As Hector Garcia Puigcerver says; We often think that combining tasks will save us time, but scientific evidence shows that it has the opposite effect. Even those who claim to be good at multitasking are not very productive. In fact, they are some of the least productive people. Our brains can take million bits of information but can only actually process of few dozen per second. When we say we are multitasking, what we are really doing is switching back and forth between tasks very quickly. Unfortunately, we are not computers adept at parallel processing. We end up spending all our energy alternative between tasks, instead of focusing on doing one of them well. Concentrating on one thing at a time may be the single most important factor in achieving flow.” Since the changed ways of working due to COVID19, I now realise that I have been switching back and forth between tasks and I am soooo tired, body and soul. I moved to my new job in the UK in March 2019, I dealt with multitudes of c

Planning to travel to or from a red list country? Quarantine outside the UK!

  After one year and  a half of not travelling, for us the optimists we ventured to travel for work because it was extremely necessary. I do not regret it a minute, it exceeded our expectations in terms of achieving our objectives. We travelled to Uganda on the 4th of September 2021, after the rigorous preparation and filling forms, fit to fly PCR test, health declaration for Amsterdam and booking a quarantine hotel at the cost of £2,285 before travel. Arrival and processing in Uganda was un eventful since I am fully vaccinated and I had evidence of negative Covid results. There was no need to quarantine, after all I was coming in from the'' United Kingdom''. I chose to stay in an apartment where  I can manage the cleanliness and contact, plus I carried a lateral flow test kit to check myself occasionally. We held numerous meetings and a workshop in Uganda, every one is masked up and conscious about safety, social distancing observed, which was refreshing. Today I came